Our team designed and developed the core product of e-learning platform for Comcast’s employees. The system includes two major user modules: for administrators and for learners.
The biggest challenge in customizing system to client’s needs was to face the problem of weak Internet connection. The Comcast’s structure consists of a few dozen business units with their own local NASes (Network Attached Storage) and weak Internet connection between them and our cloud service (AWS). Our goal was to find a way to synchronize our courses (mainly videos, SCORMs and other large files) despite slow Internet connection, and be able to serve them from local NASes (not from AWS) and make them accessible for 40,000 users around the globe. Additionally, significant customizations were needed to reflect the complex structure of the enterprise, as well as recognize every client’s business unit when corresponding users launch the app.
- Course Catalogue - the list of all available courses
- Course Builder - allows creating courses from scratch as well as re-using existing materials (PDF, video-audio, HTML5, articles, images etc.) and homeworks
- Scorm courses uploader - supports the latest compliant SCORM cloud and Tin Can xAPI industry standards for content interoperability
- Instructor Led Training & Webinars - can be easily set up, recorded and maintained via the platform
- Calendars, Scheduling & Reminders - help to keep track of workplace learning and manage learners with alerts and reminders to keep their learning on schedule
The system includes two major modules – one of them devoted to administrators (create and manage courses, add/remove students, assign and check tasks, collect statistics etc.) and the other module for learners (browse available courses, get notifications about due mandatory courses, undertake courses, pass tests and quizzes, track progress etc.). Our client needed also solution to minimize the external Internet connection usage in the areas which suffer from low Internet quality, and simultaneously enhance the performance of the application for them.